It was the celebration of the century, a party of truly operatic proportion. In the Opera House itself some 7,500 opera-goers gathered to pay tribute to the grande dame of America's cultural institutions on the occasion of her one-hundredth anniversary. In a technical tour de force, simultaneous radio and television transmission on four satellites expanded the party of well-wishers by millions of viewers in Europe and throughout the United States.Almost one-hundred of the world's leading singers, seven conductors, the Met Orchestra, Chorus and Ballet performed in two separate programs. For more than eight hours, the magnificent history of the opera company was recalled in some of the most brilliant arias and ensembles of the repertory, performed against a backdrop of five glorious Met productions. Time considerations necessitated the omission of some Gala selections; however, the performances which appear have not been altered or edited in any manner.
SATURDAY AFTERNOON, OCTOBER 22, 1983 AT 2:00 PM
01 - Smetana: The Bartered Bride: Overture
Metropolitan Opera Orchestra - Conductor: James Levine
02 - Puccini: Turandot: In Questa Reggia
Eva Marton
03 - Mozart: Le Nozze Di Figaro: Dove Sono
Dame Kiri Te Kanawa
04 - Verdi: Otello: Dio! Mi Potevi Scagliar
James McCracken
05 - Rossini: Il Barbiere Di Siviglia: La Calunnia
Ruggero Raimondi
06 - Donizetti: Lucia Di Lammermoor: Sextet
Roberta Peters, Loretta Di Franco, Dano Raffanti, Robert Nagy, Brian Schexnayder, Julien Robbins
07 - Rossini: Semiramide: Bel Raggio Lusinghier
Dame Joan Sutherland
08 - Mascagni: Iris: Prelude And Hymn Of The Sun
Metropolitan Opera Chorus - Conductor: David Stivender
09 - Richard Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier: Presentation Of The Rose
Judith Blegen, Frederica Von Stade
10 - Gounod: Roméo Et Juliette: Duet, Act IV
Catherine Malfitano, Alfredo Kraus
11 - Donizetti: L'Elisir D'Amore: Una Furtiva Lagrima
Nicolai Gedda
12 - Verdi: Ernani: Ernani, Involami
Anna Tomowa-Sintow
13 - Richard Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier: Final Trio
Kathleen Battle, Elisabeth Söderström, Frederica Von Stade
14 - Verdi: Otello: Già Nella Notte Densa
Mirella Freni, Placido Domingo
SATURDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 22, 1983 AT 8:00 PM
15 - Beethoven: Overture Leonore No. 3
Metropolitan Opera Orchestra - Conductor: Leonard Bernstein
16 - Giordano: Andrea Chénier: Final Duet
Montserrat Caballé, José Carreras
17 - Debussy: L'Enfant Prodigue: Lia's Aria
Ileana Cotrubas
18 - Saint-Saëns: Samson Et Dalila: Bacchanale
Metropolitan Opera Ballet - Conductor: James Levine
19 - Verdi: Nabucco: Duet, Act III
Grace Bumbry, Renato Bruson
20 - Gounod: Faust: Final Trio
Katia Ricciarelli, William Lewis, Nicolai Ghiaurov
21 - Puccini: Madama Butterfly: Duet, Act I
Leona Mitchell, Giuliano Ciannella
22 - Rossini: L'Italiana In Algeri: Finale, Act I
Diane Kesling, Edda Moser, Gail Dubinbaum, David Rendall, John Darrenkamp, Sesto Bruscantini, Ara Berberian, And Members Of The Metropolitan Opera Chorus
23 - Saint-Saëns: Samson Et Dalila: Mon Coeur S'Ouvre À Ta Voix
Marilyn Horne
24 - Wagner: Tristan Und Isolde: Isolde's Narrative And Curse, Act I
Birgit Nilsson
25 - Swedish Folk Song: I Remember When I Was Seventeen
Birgit Nilsson
26 - Verdi: Un Ballo In Maschera: Duet, Act II
Leontyne Price, Luciano Pavarotti
27 - Happy Birthday
The Company

21 comments:
http://rapidshare.com/users/4ZWEEK
holy smokes! massive!
how many days did it take to upload this 79 part monster?
this gives me the impetus to get the new harddrive that i've been putting off.
much gratitude
Part 71 link is broken :(
Organman, please try to download it again. Let's see if there is any other complaint. Thanks.
Organman, I've tested link 71 and everything is fine.
I just tried it again. Doesn't work for me! :(
=====
ERROR
You have requested http://rapidshare.com/files/194515917/MetCent.part71.rar | 100431 KB.
The server 39.rapidshare.com is momentarily not available. We are aware of this and are working to get this resolved.
Organman, I'm gonna reup the file. Wait around 1 1/2 hour and try again. Thanks.
Organman, strange things happen in this blog world. When I try to download part71 through the LinkList he shows the message you already know. When I try to download it through my files list he downloads it with no problem. So let's make a test. Try this link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/194515917/MetCent.part71.rar
I've tested it and it worked. Thanks.
Thanks so much .. before I read your last comment, I've downloaded it from the re-uped link. I have it all now!
Thanks so much for your work.
great superb wonderful
thank you, thank you, and again thank you so much for this great spectacular video !! May I recommend the James Levine 25th Anniversary Gala, 1996?
Again, thank you so very much for this !
Scarpia, ever see the farewell concert of Maria Callas at the Royal Festival Hall, featuring Giusseppe di Stefano. If you like I send you this as AVI...
Anonymous, I would like it very much. By the way, next week it will be one year since Di Stefano passed away. I'm gonna make a post to remember the date. Thank you.
thats brilliant thanks!
how do i burn this to dvd?
convertxtodvd wants to burn it as one disc & says the quality will be poor - how mant discs wrer there on the original?
do you know if there's a prog i can use to burn it to several discs?
thanks
krass
Wally, it's only one DVD on the original. It's a DVD 9 format which doesn't fit on a DVD 5 format used on most DVD recorders. You must convert this DVD 9 to DVD 5. I suggest you use "DVD Shrink" to convert it to DVD 5 and "DVD Decrypter" to burn it to a DVD. Both programs work together. They are free and easy to use. Give it a try and if you have any problems using the programs, let me know and we'll try something to help you. Please let me know what happened, successful or not. Thanks.
wow, that's what i call service, scarpia. good dvd burning info that i'm going to need at some point.
by the way i got my new hard drive and downloaded this splendid video.
much gratitude
as archer said, that's real service, scarpia!
i shall get on it & let you know. might take me a few days , tho.
thanks once again
wally
hi,
i downloaded both progs you suggested, scarpia.
dvd shrink seemed to have an "automatic" setting that took the files you supplied us with, shrunk them to dvd5 size, & then burnt them to a dvd. - virtually "one - touch" & very easy!
havent watched the whole dvd yet (its for my wife) but we checked random bits & it all seems great! the quality seems reasonable - which , obviously, is more important on an opera dvd than on most others!
thanks again for the upload
wally
is it possible to burn a DVD 9 onto two DVD 5s and retain the quality? if the dvd has to be shrunk, would it be better to shrink it before uploading (less files)?
i intend to research my own questions, but any info would be appreciated. thanks.
Anonymous, I understand your concern and it really makes sense. What happens is that many users have DVD recorders who records double layers DVD, meaning that it will record on DVD9 format. This is the reason why I don't compress it to DVD5 format on the ripping. On the other hand there are programs like Nero who can split the DVD9 into two DVD5, keeping the DVD9 original quality. I hope I answered your questions.
Hi,thx for this post,it's longer but good!I used the "handbrake", which compresses to about 50% in H264, it's very slow, but the result is excellent! No loss.
Post a Comment